PREPOSTIONS -- USAGE
1. Lo, lopala The pen is in the pocket.
2. Times of a day In the morning, / in the evening
3. Before weeks In the first week. / In the last week
4. Before months In June / He was born in Oct
5. Before years Baber defeated Lodi in 1526 AD.
6. Before large area He resided in Bombay.
7. To form a phrase Come in. / get in
8. State or manner He is in a bad temper.
9. Point of reference We found a true friend in him.
10. Time Expect me in a few days.
1. In motion Water is changed into steam. / Flow into gutter
1. Point of space I place my hand on the table
2. Point of time I came here on Sunday last. / On 1st Mar.
3. Dependence He lives on his father.
4. Condition or basis He was appointed on these terms.
5. Direction They made an attack on my house.
1. When in motion The cat jumped onto the table.
1. Nearness in place Come and sit by me.
2. Nearness in time Always get up by sunrise.
3. Agency He was fairly treated by me.
4. Manner Seize him by the neck.
5. Adjuration He swore by heaven.
1. Proximity in place He is not at home.
2. Proximity in time He was thee at 4 O’clock.
3. Proximity in state He is now quite at ease.
4. Proximity in effect Stand up at the word of command.
5. Proximity in value It is sold at Rs. 5/-per kg.
6. Proximity in occupation He was busy at his work all day.
7. Proximity in aim/phrases He laughed at her.
1. Period of time I have lived here for two years. / For ten days. / For two hours.
2. Direction in time He was imprisoned for life.
3. Cause or reason For what offence was he imprisoned.
4. In spite of For all his learning, he has no sense.
5. Exchange He sold his horse for a small sum.
6. On behalf of He fought hard for his friends.
7. Purpose This stuff is not fit for food.
1. Union in place He arrived with all his luggage.
2. Union in time Frogs begin to croak with the rainfall.
3. Apposition One king fought with another.
4. Agreement His views donot comply with mine.
5. Separation I parted with my friend yesterday.
6. Point of reference He is not popular with his pupils.
7. In spite of With all his wealth, he is in debt.
8. Instrument He killed the kite with a stone.
9. Manner He looked upon them with anger.
10. Cause He has long been sick with fever.
1. Cause What did he die of?
2. Source Of what family he sprung.
3. Separation He was deprived of his appointment.
4. Quality He is a man of strong will.
5. Contents He sent me a box of books.
6. Material This box is made of leather.
7. Possession He lived in the house of his father.
1. Place He has returned to his father’s house.
2. Time You must go back tonight.
3. Proportion The chances are three to one.
4. Limit They fought to the last man.
5. Purpose He came to see us.
1. It is the most common word when one thing is dir3ectly under another thing or covered by it.
Eg., under the bed, / under the blanket
2. It is used when there is movement from one side to another.
Eg., the boy crawled under the fence.
1. To give more force to he idea of covering.
Eg., the letter has been pushed underneath the carpet.
2. At the end of a sentence
Eg., she wore a red coat with a blue dress underneath.
1. Suggests that the two objects are not closed to each other.
Eg., The submarine waited far beneath the ship.
1. To or in lower place/descent
Eg., he ran down the hill.
The bath room is down the stairs.
1. Space :- He had gone from home.
2. Time:- You must begin from day break.
3. Source:- He is sprung from noble ancestors.
4. Influence:- From all we hear, he is mad.
5. Discrimination:- a fool may easily be known from a wise man.
1. At the back of :- the dog ran behind its master.
2. Concealment:- there is a smile behind his frown.